Saturday, May 2, 2009

Joel's first hive inspection

Big day today! The plan is for Joel and I to open up the hives again today and check on them. I found a picture with his bee brush in it today, which I never bought, so maybe I can stop using the unused paint brush as a bee brush. A bee brush is used to brush the bees off the frames (so you can see what you're looking at underneath, plus to move them back so hopefully you don't squish them). I don't know why people say "pig pile" when they could say "bee pile" because the bees really do pile up on each other!!

Hopefully I'll get to peek at my friend Sandy's hives too. She was in our class with us and is pretty local. I should probably also call the neighbor down the street (Brad) who has hives and let him know we're going in. Gosh, we could start our own bee club!! I really do think that the more hives you get to look into, and the more people you network with, the more knowledgeable you'll be. It's a whole different world outside of the textbook.

LOTS of pollen baskets coming in yesterday, even in the cold and the showers. The picture in my older post was of orange pollen, but I'm starting to see pale yellow and white pollen now. Our Hoper Crabapple bloomed Wednesday so I'm wondering if maybe that's the new color. My theory is that the very yellow/orange pollen was coming from the forsythia which was in full bloom when they arrived.

So I'm crossing my fingers that I will see eggs, that I will NOT squish the queen (or any of the other girls), and that all goes well for all of us.

More later, hopefully with pictures. Which is another good reason to have a bee buddy. It's hard to take pictures when you are alone in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment