Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When will the rain end?

Hi! It's been a while. There really hasn't been all that much to report though. It's been raining for EVER, it feels like...

We've got a second brood chamber on! That pretty much means the stack of boxes that are my beehive just increased by one. But beekeepers aren't supposed to call them BOXES :). They are "deeps" (because brood chambers are the deepest you can buy) for the bottom two, and "supers" (because...um....they are for collecting honey and that's SUPER?) after that. Supers can be deeps too, or they can be shorter than the deeps. Mine are "mediums" because in class we learned that a deep full of honey can weigh 80-100 pounds. Can you see me lifting that off the top on a regular basis? Yeah right. You can get even smaller than mediums too, but I sort of went middle of the road. Besides, with all this rain, I wonder if we'll get honey anyway this year.

I've managed to take some cool pictures and have some adventures this past month, but we've had some modem issues, so I haven't been able to post so frequently. I've caught you up to date this evening, I believe. I'm itching to visit those girls again already. They were out in full force this afternoon when the sun briefly peeked out. So were we! It was quite funny...I was out checking on the girls and cleaning stuff off with the hose in the back yard, our next door neighbor's crew (he owns a landscaping service) had just returned, and the kids were out at the preschool in the back. Whenever that sun popped out, all you heard in our three yards was cheering!! Anyway, they were doing their cleansing flights and pulling in some bright, bright yellow pollen today. I don't know what it was, but I think they were awfully happy. The ones I got close to not only had their pollen baskets full, they had it all over their "faces" and bodies!! One landed on my arm. I fought the urge to scream and flick her off, and she just proceeded to clean off her yellow powder and then flew off. I think they need windshield wipers!

No comments:

Post a Comment